Challenge: 8 lidos in 8 days – in May, team eXerK swam a different lido (aka outdoor pools)
Go eXerK yourself: Explore London’s amazing outdoor swimming pool/ponds. Some are heated, others not, some are pools, others wild pond. All beat indoor chlorinated pools.
Entry fees range between £2.50 – £6.70. Best to check the websites (links below) for opening times and prices as they depend on the season and time of day. Make a splash!
1. Oasis, WC2H 9AG (25m indoor, heated; 27.5m; outdoor, heated)
2. Hampton Pool, TW12 2ST (36m, outdoor, heated)
3. Serpentine, W2 2UH (100m, outdoor, unheated, open water)
4. London Fields Lido, E8 3EU (50m, outdoor, heated)
5. Brockwell Lido, SE24 0PA (50m, outdoor , unheated)
6. Parliament Hill Lido, NW5 1NB (60m, outdoor unheated)
7. Tooting Bec Lido, SW16 1RU (91.5m, outdoor, unheated). Tooting is largest fresh water, open air swimming pool in England
10. Kings Cross Pond, N1C 4BE (25m kidney shaped, outdoor, unheated). Make sure you book in advance as they limit the number of people per day due to water being plant filtered.
9. Hampstead Heath Ponds, N6 6JD (Mixed, mens and ladies, outdoor, unheated)
For photos of the lido challenge head to eXerK’s Facebook page
Things to bring:
- Swimming costume
- Money for entry fee
- Coin for lockers (20p/ £1 normally)
- Plastic bag for wet stuff
- Shower gel, shampoo
- Work clothes
- Wetsuit for the unheated lidos (optional)