Challenge: Hike Snowdon
Details: There are a selection of routes up Snowdon. We chose the Watkin Path as we stayed at YHA Bryn Gwynant.
Where? Snowdon, North Wales
Transport? £60 for car rental and petrol per person. Train from London to Llandudno Junction then a taxi is an alternative too.
When? Summer months have a better chance of nice weather but if you have winter mountaineering experience, you can climb Snowdon all year round.
Essential kit list:
- Water proof jacket
- Warm hat
- Walking Boots
- Rucksack (25-35 litres in size depending on how much stuff you want to carry)
- Food for the day. You will be burning off twice the amount of energy you normally do, so bring enough food. Sugary snacks aren’t a good idea. Foods like bananas, dried fruit, flapjacks & sandwiches are good.
- On hot days you can drink up to 4 pints/2 litres of water.
- Personal Medicine
- Thick/Walking socks
- Waterproof over trousers (Tip; Ensure you can put the over trousers on whilst wearing your boots)
- Wicking base layer (This is worn next to the skin and should not be a cotton t-shirt)
- Mid layer (Worn between the base layer and your jacket, lightweight fleeces are ideal)
- Hiking trousers (Tip; Do not wear jeans or jogging bottoms)
- Sun Cream
- Sun Glasses
- Rucksack liner (Tip; this is essential in wet weather. Rucksacks are not waterproof!)
- Orange Poly Survival bag (available for a couple of pounds)
Food & drink? Hostel breakfast and packed lunches (£7 each), plus pub meals out: totals to around £50 for whole weekend
Accommodation? Be sure to book early as the hostels with easy access to the trails get booked up quickly. £27.50 per night per person in Bryn Gwynant, could also stay in Pen y Pas hostel or Snowdon Ranger to walk other routes.
Cost? Estimate at £165 per person for the whole weekend for food, transport and accommodation. The hike is free!
eXerK yourself: We set off from the hostel at 8.30am, taking the Watkin Path and reached the summit in 4 hours. We carried our own packed lunch, snacks and water but there is a café at the top of Snowdon (not sure if I approve of this) so you have that option too. On the way down on the Watkin Path there are a series of river pools you can swim in – Nant Gwyant – highly recommend!
Check out our photos to get more of a feel.